Tuesday, November 27, 2012

First World Problems

The last couple of weeks I've been struggling on the home front. Actually, the house front to be more accurate. a floor fell in, bathroom had to be redone, walls fixed, roof replaced, furnace replaced, central heat installed and now the hot water heater replaced. I've not had my house all in one piece for 4-6 weeks. Which also means I've not had my home in one piece.

I've put on as many as six blankets to stay warm. I've showered at my mom's and the YMCA for over a week. I've boiled water to do the dishes. I've washed towels and sheets in cold water. 

One phrase comes to mind: First World Problems. 

It's true, I've been inconvenienced but at least I have running water, and water that won't even make me sick when I drink it! I have dishes to wash and food to make them need to be washed. I have a car to take me to the Y, heck, we even have BUILDINGS dedicated to just getting in shape! I have seven floors from which to choose my workout. I have safe roads that I can run on, and refuel with a glass of ice-cold water into which I can mix my Emergen-C for that extra boost of immunity. I have used six blankets in a single night, but I could have used any of the 5 more should I have needed them. 

These are the things that came into my head yesterday as I was ticking off my 10,000 steps in circles around the track. It's only about 3 miles or so...without sounding cliche, there are people who would probably be relieved if they had to walk ONLY 10,000 steps to get to work, school, home, doctor, water, food, etc. Yes...10,000 steps; 10,000 thoughts. 

Two thoughts should permeate them all: First World Problems and I am blessed. At least that's my twenty six point two cents worth. . . 

2 comments:

  1. Loved this. Spent the day shopping for new flooring...such a hassle to have to replace my carpet and tile with pretty laminate! (insert eye roll). Thanks for the perspective.

    ReplyDelete