Thursday, March 8, 2018

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

As many of my regular readers know, I battle high blood pressure. So far I've been able to maintain a high end of "acceptable" BP thru diet and exercise. As some of my closer friends also know, this year has been beyond stressful and I've slacked off both my diet and activity levels. So I am attempting to slowly but surely get back on track with one change every week. This weeks was attempting to reduce processed sugars while increasing potassium and fiber. Years ago, I came across a vegan chocolate avocado mousse and it was...ok. I have since altered the recipe significantly and I LOVE it! Today, I'll share with you my recipe which may be higher in calories (due to the avocado) and sugars (thanks to the strawberries and banana) but again, my goal is to reduce refined sugars so this recipe fits my goals (as developed in collaboration with my medical doctor) just fine. Please consult your doctor and healthcare provider, as I am NEITHER of those and am making absolutely no recommendations, merely sharing a snack that is healthier for me.

1 Avocado
1 Banana
1/3 C fresh strawberries (can sub any berry)
1/2 C skim milk (can sub whatever milk)
1 T white sugar (can sub honey)
1 t vanilla
1/3 C cocoa powder

Here's the real tricky recipe part: Put it all in a ninja blender and blend til a smooth, creamy, mousse texture. It does gel up a smidge when fully chilled in the fridge. Due to the fresh nature of this recipe, I try to eat it within a few days.

If you REALLY need a sweet-fix, you could mix in: one crumbled up cookie, mini chocolate chips, whipped cream on top, etc. You could also probably reduce the calories and carbs by swapping almond milk in place of skim milk, eliminating the white sugar (that's my goal eventually) or subbing honey or stevia (yuck) in its place. This is also SUPER d'lish with raspberries, I just didn't have any. Blueberries were only ok, their flavor is not strong enough to compete with the avocado and cocoa in my opinion. I've also left out the berries and added mint or orange extract for flavoring. I tried instant coffee once, but the flavors were just too strong and competing.

Here is a link to the nutritional information of the recipe, as given: Chocolate Avocado Mousse Nutrition.

What healthier dessert options have you found?

P.S. (shhh): I also do not feel guilty about eating this in the morning, midday or even night time !

No comments:

Post a Comment