Thursday, April 12, 2012

Put in the work; Release it to the Universe

Today, I'm going to hit you over the head with the metaphor of the day: If you don't put in the work, you're not going to yield the results you want.

This is sort of the metaphor I live by. I've always heard it growing up. I've always KNOWN it. But I didn't LIVE it until my first marathon some five years ago. Gosh, I really do believe that The Marathon is The Ultimate life-metaphor. Read on ...

Yesterday (and arguably today, but it's still early) I did not want to get my run in. I am behind on three of my contracts. Have a grant to update. Volunteers to coordinate for a 1,200 wall rehab inside the Youth Center, yada yada yada. But my goal is to complete this Marine Corps Marathon in under 4:00:00. That's a lofty goal for me given my first was well over 4 (though my last was just barely) and I recalled that to run fast, one must train fast. Hell, one must simply TRAIN to just finish! And so, despite the chaos of the day, I forced myself to do a brisk four-mile run on the treadmill at the Y. I did my first quasi fartlek run (Click Here for Fartlek Run Info) which generally kills me.


My mantra of the run was, "to finish fast, you must train fast, to finish fast you must train fast." and really, all that's saying is to FINISH you must TRAIN. That's how one should live life. If you do the right training in the right way at the right time, you're going to finish in the right way. Put in the work, and release it to the Universe.

It's as simple as that. Put in the work, and release it to the Universe. Now, it's time for me to grab another cup of coffee, finish this grant and drag myself out to Iroquois Park for another brisk run. Today, I'm putting in the right work at the right time for the right finish. Are you?

3 comments:

  1. Niice! Solid post for the day! Your thoughts on running are awesome and they are helping me keep my head focused on my cardio. I've always dreaded it but been surrounded by friends who have done marathons all their lives!

    Great work, keep it up. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are enjoying my random missives. :) I filter them some, but I must forewarn you...as the runs get longer, the filter gets thinner. Have you completed a marathon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the late response! I was in the verge of a move and had no internet for a week!

    However... I'm baack! We'll I am all for no filters! Speak your mind, get what you feel out there regardless of how it may sound, you've got my attention! I have not done a marathon for 4-5 years I forget which I barely remember it. I have handfuls of friends that do marathons yearly so I've been around them a lot but only done 1.

    I am interested in doing one this year with some friends!

    Keep em' coming though, run longer, run harder, filter softer :) The raw words of the Contemplative Runner!

    ReplyDelete