Saturday, April 7, 2012

Raccoon. Mud. Jiggly Man Boobs. Phlegm. Compression Shorts.

Bright red shorts. Trees fallen. Random orange cones and water tables. 

No music. Brisk morning. Vomit. Few people. 

Pollen. Gorgeous sky. Blinding sun. 

These are a few of the things that I encountered on my run this morning. I may have already blogged about the point of today's, forgive me if I have but it comes to me often. 

I only do a marathon about once every two years (this will be my third in 5 years' time). I've discovered it takes about a full year-18 months to forget the intense pain, incredible sacrifices, total commitment and unfathomable insanity to complete a full marathon. I mean, you can't safely just wake up and say, "today, I'm running a marathon!" though i know of people who have. I train for at least 3-6 months. Each month brings a different level of discipline. Currently, I am just building my base-mileage up. In May, I cut out candy. In June, I increase mileage and salads. Etc. 

What I've also learned is the sense of satisfaction, glory, accomplishment, pride, et. al. of EACH Marathon persists far beyond the memory of any such sacrifices or pain. Yes, the stories of the sacrifice/pain are forever woven into dinner-party conversation (I remember that time when ___________________) but really, that is part of the pride and accomplishment.

To me, this is a clear correlation and metaphor for life. When you're in the thick of it (and I'm just now getting in the thick of THIS marathon with today's run at 10 miles) it is easy to focus on the pain (I'm sitting 14 hours later with my legs propped, raw toes, a tender nipple, tight calves and an inexplicable pain in my right pinky toe area), but I know if I want that sense of accomplishment, the pride, the cheering, the glory I must endure through the pain, prep and sacrifice. 

This blog is messy. My mind is messy. My running today was messy, actually. So I guess in the grand scheme, this blog is right up there with today's long run: pointless, messy, never-ending and boring. Oh well, that's my 26point2centsworth for ya! 

2 comments:

  1. Donald, Life is messy. Some days all you see is the mess but if you never saw the mess, how would you appreciate clear sailing?? I love your blog and life metaphors. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maria! I've come to accept the mess in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete