Sunday, May 21, 2017

Sunday Funday--Health & Wellness Edition!

As some of you are aware, I have been battling my blood pressure for a few years now. Somehow, I've managed to keep it hovering at either the high end of "ok" or the low end of "pre-hypertension" for three years through diet and lifestyle changes.

Each year for my birthday, I gift myself an annual wellness exam from my doctor (I know, so exciting, right?) in an attempt to change my genetic predisposition to an early death. Statistically speaking, I've got about 15 years left. I am determined to change that as I want to spoil my grandkids rotten! 

My last exam (November, 2016) my doctor said if it remained where it was, she was going to discuss the reality of having to go on BP meds. I already stopped drinking (7/1/2012 or 2013) and have already significantly reduced my sodium. Her suggestion to lower it: lose 10-20 lbs. Ok doc, got it! She made me download the app: My Fitness Pal App on my phone to keep track of my calories. I've slowly lost a couple pounds and kept them off. I'm happy. BUT...

I am recommitting myself in the following ways: 
      • Increasing cardio
      • Adding resistance training
      • Returning to daily meditation
      • More fresh fruits & veggies
      • Finding physical activities I enjoy at this stage of my life
So today was my Sunday Funday--Health & Wellness Edition! These Sundays require advance planning--I must get my household tasks completed Saturday evening, including figuring out my son's Sunday schedule for the days I wish to do activities he has no interest (or that I simply wish to do solo). Today, all the stars aligned and...I conquered a four-mile hike in the beautiful Jefferson Memorial Forest with one of my former ducklings and hiking buddy! Man, I sure could tell I am closing in on 40 and he's barely 22 on some of the crazy inclines along the Purple Heart Trail. But he was a trooper and slowed down a bit as I hoofed it up, sweat literally pouring off my face, down my back and ...well, everywhere! 


My friend Robyn also brought over an entire flat of freshly picked strawberries so I was able to end my day by making a delicious and healthy smoothie that tasted more like a gourmet milkshake. Super easy to make:

  • Step 1: Add fresh strawberries, container of yogurt, some milk. Blend. 
  • Step 2: Add frozen fruits, a few chocolate chips and fresh ginger. Blend again. 
  • Step 3: Enjoy! 

I would have taken a pic of our smoothies but...well...they didn't last that long!

I am always looking for more ways to help my family increase our health and wellness, particularly if it helps to lower my blood pressure. If you're in the area (or within a few hour drive) and want to connect for a hike, please let me know! Otherwise, what are some of your favorite (non pharmaceutical ) strategies? 


No comments:

Post a Comment