Tuesday, May 23, 2017

...to return to compassion

The last couple of months have been hell. I have never managed an ultra marathon, but I imagine we've been running the badlands ultra marathon (google it).

And I must admit I've strayed from being the most compassionate person I would like to be. So I have gone to the great google to search for some quotes from The Dalai Lama, whom I've long admired, read and even heard speak. This will be a short entry because I want to encourage you to spend time on the quotes I've chosen:

You must not hate those who do wrong or harmful things; but with compassion you must do what you can to stop them--for they are harming themselves, as well as those who suffer from their actions. 

Every single being, even those who are hostile towards us, is just as afraid of suffering as we are, and seeks happiness in the same ways we do. Every person has the same right as we do to be happy and and not to suffer. So let's take care of others wholeheartedly, of both our friends and our enemies. That is the basis for true compassion. 
Dalai Lama XIX

After reading these quotes, reflecting and meditating on them I am forced to confront the answer to my own question of : what have I done to manifest compassion for those who have done wrong and harmful things. And the answer is quite overwhelmingly: Not enough.

Today, be compassionate. Tomorrow, be compassionate.

No comments:

Post a Comment