Tuesday, May 30, 2017

My Six Steps to Life Happiness

I'm sitting on my lanai (I don't have one, for those of you new to my obsession with being out on my lanai), surrounded by my gorgeously blooming flowers (actually, none are blooming nor are they gorgeous, they were on clearance or free, but they have hope!), I am kid free (for 12ish hours) and on a self imposed indulgent vacation (during which I will eat ice cream and watch netflix)...but I am totally complete in this moment. 

Here are a few steps I've taken to reach this stage of my life: 

Partied the hell out of my 20's
I know, right now I'm a total stick-in-the-mud. But in my late teens and early 20's...gurl...I was all sparkled up, drunk and at a club or party. Every Friday and Saturday, most Thursdays, some Sundays and the occasional Tuesday. I partied my way through my early 20's and I'm so grateful I did, because now I can enter my 40's without any regrets and fully embracing this evolution of my life. 

Research and be in touch with *my* health
Yes, you need to know your genetic predisposition to this and to that. But what has been helpful for me is knowing things like I can't tolerate heavy cream-based foods, I need 4-6 hours of sleep a night, plus a 15 minute nap, red bull and vodka makes me angry and want to fight (and I usually do what I want so...), spending quiet time alone to start each day helps ensure a better day for everyone, you get the picture. Whatever it is for you, just be aware of it and do it. When I was running I kept a running journal and recorded everything. This is when I became acutely aware of trends and patterns. I found a doctor who spends almost an hour with me at my annual wellness check and asks things like, "are you getting any sex?" because she looks at the whole person. This has been critical to finding my bliss. 

Worked my ass off! 
Seriously, my parents raised me on a very meager family income. My mom worked full time and maintained a 4.0 gpa in college while my dad owned his own body shop and was in the army reserves. They instilled in my nobody owes me anything, except myself. I owe myself a great deal. So if I want it, I need to work my ass off for it. Even in those earlier party days I mentioned, I still worked 40-60 hours a week and never missed a commitment or obligation. 

I've been steadfast in my word, honesty and integrity
I have found that when I strayed from this, there was SO much to keep up with...who did I tell what and why? When I'm honest and full of integrity, there's so much less to have to keep up with and it's easier because, you know, truth...has set me free. 

Living an authentic and unapologetic life
I came out to my friends (some) when I was in high school. Came out to others in college. And my family when I was 20 or 21. From that day forward I made a commitment to myself that I was going to live my life authentically and stop asking anyone's permission or apologizing for it. People are uncomfortable...but it's not my place to make them comfortable.

Remain active in your House of Spirit
In Florida--the beach; in Kentucky--the forests, creeks, rivers, lakes and mountains. To these houses of Spirit, I shall always return and be eternally grateful.

So there you have it...these are six steps that I can attribute my life-happiness and completion to. I don't know you, so I don't have suggestions or shoulds or oughttas or what have you. I do have a desire for everyone to be happy, fulfilled, complete and blissful. I hope that you have found your path to that and, if you haven't, maybe some (or none or all) of these steps might help spark some ideas to help you along the journey. Or, at least, that's my 26.2 cents worth. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment