Thursday, May 3, 2018

ooops, I did it again!



We all make mistakes.

Image result for mistakeIn fact, as I am writing this, I am sitting in a local Barnes & Noble Cafe waiting for a Writer's Group to begin. I made child care arrangements because I don't like to leave my child home alone too late at night. I coordinated my dinner plans around the start of this group. Made sure to show up in time to use the restroom, get a beverage and settle in. I did all the right (or write? haha) things...except I did them on the wrong week! This Group is meeting NEXT Thursday, not tonight. Ugh. And I could have stayed and enjoyed my dinner company longer!

So I had to make some decisions on how I was going to respond....normally I get so angry, bent out of shape, frustrated at myself for being so disorganized that I beat myself up and fall into a pit of self-imposed shame. But tonight, I tried something different, tonight I shrugged it off and got to writing on my own anyway. As a result, both this blog post AND journal entry were borne. This is still very rough, so forgive me, but please also give me some feedback if you'd like:

For this journal entry, we're going to dive into the imperfections that lie within you; your ability to make mistakes, your responses/reactions to them, and the impact of both the mistake and your response has on you. Let's get started.

Think back throughout your life and list three different mistakes you made:
1) A small, inconsequential mistake:
2) A medium mistake, perhaps with some consequence:
3) A major mistake, maybe with major consequence:

What impact did each of this mistakes have on you/your life in both the short and long term?
1) (small mistake)
2) (medium mistake)
3) (major mistake)

What was your response to each:
1) (small mistake)
2) (medium mistake)
3) (major mistake)

What fueled each of these responses? Is this how you normally respond or react to your mistakes? What informed or influenced the way you respond to your own mistakes (think way back if you need to) ?

How do these mistakes and your responses to them reflect on you?

Would you respond the same today? What about in 10 years?

How would you *like* to respond to mistakes you make in the future?


No comments:

Post a Comment