Sunday, June 4, 2017

An Authentic Life

I love sitting outside. I have a lanai, or a space in my backyard that I affectionately refer to as my lanai. The patio set was on loan from a friend as they were in between home ownership--renting--home ownership. Well, now they're a homeowner again so they are enjoying their patio set again. And I am given the wonderful opportunity to create my own backyard oasis.

And I also live on a very strict budget...in which a new patio set did not fall. So I am doing my lanai on a dime! I remembered I had an old rickety metal bistro table with a broken leg, I have two plastic lawn chairs on the porch and some large flower pots. Then I remembered I also have a huge indoor/outdoor area rug I bought for a festival last year. If I put the table umbrella sand base thing in the center of the table and put the umbrella in it, the table stays upright, even on three legs! The area rugs helps to level the uneven ground for my rickety chairs and the flower pots add some splashes of color and foliage to make it my oasis!

Last night was the first night that I had it assembled and did so while my son was watching television. When he came out to join me, the first thing out of his mouth was, "you're going to meditate out here aren't you?" Not in a sarcastic and antagonizing way but in a matter of fact way. To be honest, I hadn't thought of it but once he did I was like, "YES! And you can do your yoga out here too!" He agreed that it looked super cozy. And we stayed out watching fireflies and bats for an hour chatting about life, aliens, UFOs (ugh), bonfires, camping, high school...it was perfect.

In reflection, I was impressed he pegged it as a safe place of meditation and respite. I guess I live my life authentically if he can just look at something and figure it all out. I will post a pic shortly, for now I need to get back to enjoying the birds chirping, rabbits frolicking, and my son still sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment