Sunday, June 11, 2017

Keep. On. Going.

I recently picked up running again.

I forgot how much of a love/hate relationship I had with running.

I forgot how much I NEEDED running in my life when I did.

I. Need. Running.

Not just for the physical health factors, but also for the emotional, mental and spiritual health factors. And the social factors.

Being a single dad is hard. Being a single dad to a survivor of trauma is fucking hard! Running has regrounded me. I mean, literally, for miles on end I am constantly reaffirming my connection with Mother Earth by relying on the ground to both be there AND to support me as I take the next step.

I also rely on the journey inward that inevitably comes with running. This journey helps me process life and allows me to be a better dad when I come back home. Recently, I have become connected with other runners. (tangentially, isn't it odd how the Universe provides EVERYTHING we need in the moment we need it if we just open ourselves up to it?) My first run with a running buddy I pushed my goal from 3.2 miles to 5. And my most recent I pushed from 4 to 6.

The last half mile was add on to my last long run and I kept trying to talk myself out of running. One running buddy had already headed home to get to church on time. Another had just went right to go to their house to get to a friend's tri on time. And I headed left to get to my home and chores so I can go walk in the Ruck March with my friend Robyn this afternoon to raise awareness on the issue of veteran suicide prevention.

And it was that left turn when it was just me, the sidewalk, and Beastie Boys on pandora. And a very simple mantra came to my head: Just keep going! Don't stop. Won't stop. Get it, get it. Just. Keep. Going! And mere moments later,  I was at 6 miles and home. Boom. Done! So I want to leave you with this, regardless what you're going through, find your mantra and don't stop, won't stop, get it, get it...just keep going! You possess everything you'll ever need for every challenge and obstacle you'll ever face. Move forward with that knowledge and what is there that you can't overcome?


No comments:

Post a Comment