Monday, June 5, 2017

Ballin' on a Budget: Breakfast Edition

Ballin' on a budget...breakfast edition:
Miniature crustless egg quiches

I use a brownie pan from Pampered Chef, but you could use cupcake tin as well (which I have).

9 eggs
dash of milk
1/3 lb sausage
2 tater tots per brownie well
cheese
vegetables
seasoning

Brown the sausage
Place 2-3 tater tots in each greased brownie well
whisk/scramble the eggs/milk
Chop whatever vegetables you have on hand (this morning I used leftover bell pepper, zucchini and mushrooms from last night's saute'd veggie side dish) add to the eggs
Add seasoning (I use Penzey's spices, salt free blends, Arizona Dreaming is my fave for this dish)
Add 1/2 or more of shredded or sliced cheese (I cut the slices into small pieces if I don't have a block to shred)
Add browned and mostly cooled sausage

Scoop egg mixture into each brownie well filling almost full (it puffs up a little as it cooks). I have learned using a cookie scooper and scooping from the bottom of the egg mixture up helps ensure good stuff gets in each miniature quiche. I also have learned to reserve a little of each additive (veggies, cheese, sausage) to sprinkle into each well on top to be sure...

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Take out, cool for 5 minutes, remove to a cooling rack and enjoy!

Cost breakdown:
Eggs : on sale for 88 cents a dozen
Milk: 25 cents max
Sausage: 1.25
Cheese: 1.00
veggies: 1.50 (really negligible because I use leftovers, but if you HAD to buy)
Seasoning: 50 cents
Tater tots: 50 cents
Total Cost: less than $6 for a dozen, which will last us two breakfasts.
Best part: I can control what I put in it, this is a GREAT way to get in extra veggies (I often put kale and spinach, i just forgot).
Better than Best Part: Freezes well, so make several batches, freeze flat, then put in a bag. Wrap in foil and heat in oven for 30 minutes while showering, when out of shower you have a warm, healthy, delicious and inexpensive breakfast!

Additional options: I use leftover chicken, bacon (like there's any leftover!?), ham from the holidays, turkey...it all goes well! I mix up the spices. Sometimes I do a southwest style with jalapenos and paprika, sometimes I do a smoked quiche with smoked paprika and smoked ham...you can put them on a biscuit (which also freezes well as a breakfast sandwich.

Bon apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment