Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Growing My Brain By Making Quinoa Salad?

Finally, I can grow my brain by doing something I like--like eating!? YES!

According to Dr. Kathryn Papp, neuropsychologist an instructor in neurology at Harvard Medical School, we now know that our brains can continue to grow well into adulthood and as we age. It was once believed that a person was born with every brain cell and connection they'd ever have and that was it. But we now know this to be false. Papp goes on to say that through a process called neurogenesis our brains can actually grow new cells. She continues to suggest that through the brain's complex malleability (neuronal plasticity), the brain can actually begin to make new connections (this in addition to growing new cells). This can be achieved through the seemingly simple process of learning a new task, activity, art, craft, etc. She does suggest for maximum growth, the new activity being learned have a physical component. I'm unsure if standing, walking, chopping, stirring counts as physical but in my (ever expanding) mind it sure does! 

As most of you know, my son and I are intentionally incorporating more fruits, vegetables, healthier grains, less meat, etc. into our diet. I am also becoming increasingly "on the go" with clients, finishing up my forthcoming book, and so on so I am always looking for quick, healthy, easy meals which will have leftovers I can take with me and even eat in the car sometimes while waiting to pick my son up from school. This meal is PERFECT to achieve those goals and can be tailored to meet your dietary restrictions, taste buds, yada, yada, yada. My top three priorities for this meal: low sodium, fresh veggies, easy. I have achieved the trifecta, y'all! And I want to help your brain grow with this new (to me) recipe while helping you eat a healthy diet, too! So here goes...


 Quinoa Salad
(I made a small batch to test, you could easily double or more)
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
Garlic
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
1/2 (?) bell pepper (I used a few strips of various colors)
boneless, skinless chicken breast
Olive oil
seasoning of your preference (I used Penzey's frozen pizza mix, smoked paprika and some sodium free guacamole mix I bought on clearance at kroger)

bake chicken breast, marinaded in italian salad dressing (or whatever you choose, I usually bake a ton of chicken breast at once, bag and freeze it in single-meal servings for later use, this is what I did here, so in this case I actually just took the chicken out of freeze this morning to thaw. Always thaw meat in the refrigerator for safety purposes). I imagine this would taste d'lish even without the chicken for a vegetarian option. Sub out the chicken stock for vegetable stock and it becomes vegan. 

Put one cup chicken broth in a small pot, grate one clove of garlic, mix in uncooked quinoa. Cook at a low simmer for 15ish minutes (or basically until most of the liquid is gone). Your house will smell amazing from the chicken broth-garlic simmer!

I let mine cool fully then: 
Chop carrot, onion and bell peppers into small pieces. Mix in shredded chicken. Drizzle with a little olive oil and generously season with preferred spices (I am thinking curry next time). Mix thoroughly. 

Add cooked and cooled quinoa. Mix thoroughly. 

Bon apetit! yes, it really is that simple. . . to grow your brain, but not your waist! 

So I am going to bed tonight feeling like my brain has experienced a growth spurt and also feeling good about making healthy life-choices for my son and me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment