Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Decluttering: A Method for Success!

Mmmk, imma be honest here: EVERY year from Christmas to New Year's Eve I engage in a decluttering mania. And every year I'm like, "HOW did this happen!? Again!? " And yet the next year it still happens.

So this year, what I chose to do during my phase of purging clutter (and boy had it accumulated) I set a goal of purging one bag per day from Christmas (I actually started a few days before this year) until NYE. In years past, I would get so focused on filling the trash bag that I would get overwhelmed when I didn't make it and then I'd just stop and I'd be off track.

This year I mixed it up. I didn't set a size limit on the bag! I finally outsmarted myself and my negative patterns. This came in really handy one day when it was 10 at night, wrapping paper was thrown hither and yon, I was running a slight fever, coughing up my fourth lung (what?) and just didn't feel like it. Then I remembered...it's only one bag. No size requirements! So I grabbed a small paper bag I use for the farmer's market when I sell soaps (think one of those brown lunch sacks), and walked around putting random items of junk, trash, clutter in it until it was full. In no time at all, I had achieved my goal for the day: One bag of clutter in the trash/recycle/donation bin!

The next day I got up feeling quite successful and went on to fill four grocery bags of clutter from my kitchen alone! 

I share this only to encourage you to set yourself up for success in your goal setting. I believe in setting unrealistic goals, sure, like retiring with a million dollars in the bank. But then set your little incremental steps to get there. Be sure to celebrate your successes and modify your failures. If your goal is to lose 100 pounds, maybe your micro goal can be to get active for 20 minutes a day...even if that's just seven three-minute commercial breaks while watching television. If you want to eat healthier, start with one meal or snack a day. Your goals should scare you, and your steps should motivate and inspire you.

Whatever it is, YOU CAN DO THIS! I have faith in you. Later in the week I am going to post my weekly savings plan which will help you save $1,000+ by Christmas time! And it's all about little steps, celebrating success, and both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations. Remember, you CAN achieve your lofty and unrealistic goals, with making the next best step/choice possible.

Well, at least that's my twenty six point two cents worth anyway...


No comments:

Post a Comment