Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Wellness Within Our Communities

Today's Wellness Wednesday Thoughts:
Say hi to people. Be kind to those you encounter. Compliment more than you criticize.

This morning on my run, I said hi to approximately 10 people. Some waved and said hi back. Some acted like they didn't hear me. And the most surprising response came from those who seemed/appeared shocked I said hi. I mean, I'm running towards you and we made eye contact...what am I supposed to do next? I give a little wave, say hey, and keep running. Why don't we say hi to each other anymore?

I will admit, I am still working on being kind to all I encounter. At times, I have bad days and I tend to take it out on those around me. Sometimes complete strangers. It never makes me feel better and I often find myself regretting being a jerk in the middle of being a jerk. If I could just remember every person I encounter is another human trying to make it through another day like me, then maybe I can remember to be a little kinder. To them and myself.

And finally, compliment more than you criticize. Those around you and yourself. It is no secret that my son's school and I clash. I rarely hear anything positive, but I often hear negative. The Assistant Principal of his school was completely taken aback when I asked him to give me a call next time my son is doing something right. His actual response, "you actually want me to call you just because your son is doing something right?" Uhm, yes. you see, when we only criticize someone we only get to know them through that lens. We don't get to know them as kind, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, artistic, musical, mathematical...whatever it is. We only get to know them as a less-than, as a problem, as someone who makes mistakes. So keep a mental log--how many times do you criticize in a day, now double that number in compliments.

You see, we think of wellness as being this ethereal concept of eating lean meats, getting plenty of exercise and maybe meditating or doing yoga. But it's so much more than that. Wellness is about a journey to be well in your mind, body and spirit; in yourself, home and community. Today, on Independence Day, 2018, let us do something that will elevate the level of wellness within our communities. Today, try to say hi to people, be kind to them, and compliment more than you criticize.


No comments:

Post a Comment